Gatley is the leading text on libel and slander. The new edition brings practitioners up to date with the latest developments in the law of defamation, both substantive and procedural. It analyses the relevant case law, and guides the reader through practice and procedure in detail.
The new 12th edition deals in depth with the Defamation Act 2013. It also incorporates the latest case law and tracks the developing law in areas such as press freedom to report on matters of public interest, interim injunctions and damages.
- The 2nd Supplement was published in December 2017
- The 1st Supplement was published in December 2015
- The Main Work was published in December 2013
- Provides an all-encompassing guide to the law of defamation
- Analyses the changes introduced by the Defamation Act 2013 and discusses a wealth of significant recent case law
- Includes cases from other jurisdictions with commentary on their relevance to UK law and procedure, in particular decisions from Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- Discusses the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and the continuing effect of the Human Rights Act on defamation law and privacy
- Deals with defences available to defamation actions
- Includes forms and precedents for issuing proceedings, statements of case and settlements
- Deals with related causes of action arising from the publication of statements or images, e.g. misuse of private information and harassment – and discusses the recent cases on these topics
- Reproduces key legislation
- Includes summaries of important libel awards in the appendix material
- Updates the reader with regular supplements...