Misrepresentation, Mistake and Non-Disclosure 5th ed
This title explains in detail the doctrines of misrepresentation, mistake and non-disclosure as they affect the validity of contracts. It analyses the consequences of each, focusing in particular on the remedies available to parties in each case.
- Provides detailed guidance on how to tackle questions relating to misrepresentation, mistake and non-disclosure, whether at the stage of drafting contracts, or in resolving disputes over contracts affected by these issues.
- In distinct sections, focuses on the nature of the defects in the formation of the contract as a result of misrepresentation, mistake and non-disclosure, and offers practical solutions.
- Covers the common elements required for a claim of misrepresentation, including the statement of fact, the representor’s state of mind, reliance and causation; exclusion and limitation of liability, and practice and procedure.
- Details the remedies available in cases of misrepresentation and the requirements for each remedy: rescission of the contract; liability in tort (deceit and negligence); statutory liability; breach of contract.
- Covers the different types of mistake that can affect the validity of a contract and the available remedies.
- Explains the (exceptional) circumstances in which a party has a duty of disclosure in negotiating a contract, and the remedies for breach of the duty.